Friday, March 24, 2006

Friday's Features - Rickwood Caverns State Park in Warrior, AL
It's time for another of my Friday's Features and today I want to bring to your attention one of my favorite places to go in Alabama:
Rickwood Caverns State Park

Rickwood Caverns, a member of the National Caves Association, is a few miles from where I grew up and is a small state park, but full of atmosphere and fun. It's main feature is the cave which offers around a mile of underground wonders. The caverns themselves were water-formed during the Mississippian period over 260 million years ago, according to Wildernet.com , and still have slow-flowing stalactites and stalagmites forming today.

The tour (my mother used to be a guide before I was born and when the land was privately owned) is shorter than most caves and is only about a mile, but the return to the upperworld can be strenuous as you have to climb 102 steps to the exit and gift shop above. I know I am huffin' and puffin' by the time I make it. The guides follow behind to help stragglers make it to the top.

The cave is not wheelchair accessible, unfortunately, and those having problems walking should probably not take the tour as the walkway can be muddy (clay mud) and slippery as well. There is no elevator access, even though one had been planned many years before and you can see the shaft today.

While touring you will see many different cave formations and an underground pool where the level of water rarely changes. It is pure and cold and they pump it up from the cave to fill the Olympic-sized pool above-ground. Blind fish have been seen in the pool, but in all the years I have gone into the cave, I have never been lucky enough to catch a glimpse.

One of my favorite websites - Al.com - says this, "The cave tour reveals shell fragments and fossils, underground pools, and marine life, such as the blind cave fish, among the colorful natural formations. Divers have found salamanders, frogs and transparent fish that have adapted to life in the dark ponds deep within the cave."

Aboveground, visitors can enjoy the camping facilities. There are a few spots for RV's and a large area for tents as well.
The pool and bathhouse is close by as well as a train - which has been a part of Rickwood since I was young - for kids and grown-ups alike to enjoy. I used to consider a trip to Rickwood's pool a highly coveted reward when I was a child and I haven't changed my mind. Whenever we are in town visiting family in the summer, I take my kids there for some fun in the pool.

The park is within a pine forest and has a playground that hasn't changed since I was a child. Huge slides, monkeybars and swings offer hours of enjoyment to all children.

There are hiking trails to enjoy as well, but remember that the mountainous area is full of rocks and in the summertime, snakes like to bask and hide.

Picnic tables and grills dot the area under the trees and among the rocks. All in all, it is a wonderful place to spend the day.

Operating Schedule:
Hours: 10 AM to 5 PM daily

Seasonal Schedule:
March through Memorial Day-Weekends Only
Memorial Day through Labor Day- Everyday
September through October- Weekends Only
November through February- CLOSED
Cave Admission: Adults 12 and over - $8.00, children 6 thru 11 - $5.00
Park Admission: Ages 6 to adult - $1.00
Pool Fee: $3.00 a person
Group Tours: Special groups of 20 or more (school, civic, commercial organizations, etc.) can be arranged for by appointment, year-round.

LINKS:
http://www.dcnr.state.al.us/parks/rickwood_more_info.htm
http://www.alapark.com/parks/park.cfm?parkid=10
http://areas.wildernet.com/pages/area.cfm?areaID=ALSPRC&CU_ID=1
Copyright Dana 2005
4 had something to share

Name: Dana
Location: Chicago, and if y'all call me a Yankee, I'll have to cyber-smack ya'!

I'm just a mom of two, a crafter of jewelry, and to keep my sanity among the Yankees (kidding)I write southern-themed poetry, short stories and memoirs. I have been published on the web on sites such as USA Deep South, Southern Humorists, Muscadine Lines - A Southern Journal, Mosaic Minds and Long Story Short. I am also a contributor in Dew on the Kudzu and Weight-Loss Articles.com where I write dieting humor.

And this is my blog... Kudzu, funny family stories, poems, family ghosts, snakes, sun-kissed southern memories all inside! Plus some travel reviews, recipes and more! I also make handcrafted jewelry! Check out my jewelry blog - Colors of the Woods

View my complete profile

Copyright  2005 Dana Sieben - All Rights Reserved

Creative Commons License
This work is
licensed under a
Creative Commons License.


View my page on Indiepublic
Use one of these buttons
and link to me!




Dana Mosley Sieben

Create your badge
37%
Sign my guestmap!
Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com
 
Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com
If you'd like to share your thoughts via e-mail, get in touch with me here

www.flickr.com
imissala's photos More of imissala's photos
Chicago Lampoon

Belmont or Bust

I Was Trailer Trash When Trailer Trash Wasn't Cool

One Day at a Time

The Southern Epicure

Willing Hands (cross-stich blog)

A Tennessee Redneck in King Harald's Court

I am a Supersonic Streak in the Sky!

Becky's Carolina Journal

The Book Bitches

Alabama Kitchen Sink

Herbal Connection

Magnolia Mom

All Things Southern

Too Much Pork

Finding Fair Hope

The Little Things

The Patrick's

Going Places

The Phoenix

Olga's Blog

Leslie's Omnibus

Welcome to Beejland

Web Grits

Amy's Musings

Ruminations and Reflections

The SoapBox

The Martin Family

Travel Activities

Susie Pie

Lisa's Writing Projects

Monica's Thoughts

Bill's Bilge

Pirate Journal

Junkyard Poetry

Road to Writing

What's Up Down South?

Southern Comfort

All Kinds of Writing

Talking to Myself

The Notebored

Dana Reye's Place

Dovely's Days

Musings on Birmingham

Bill Harper's Humorwriter.com

Words to Go With - a Poetry Blog

Your Way Camping

Mushy's Moochings

Rurality

Zazzafooky

Southerness.com

The Sassy Southerner






Who Links Here

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
"I believe that no matter what you do, no matter how hard you try, you can not baptize cats." - Larry the Cable Guy

A Tennessee man and an Alabama man were both fighting in a war and were captured by the enemy.
"Before we put you to death," said the enemy, "do you have any last requests?"
"Yes," said the Alabaman. "Could you play 'Yeah, Alabama' before you shoot me?"
"Sure," said the enemy. "How about you, Tennessean?"
"Could you shoot me before you play 'Yeah, Alabama?'"

courtesy of 100 Redneck Jokes


Image hosting by Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Blogarama - The Blog Directory


blog search directory
Blog Directory & Search engine
Blogwise - blog directory



Writing , songs, humor & cool fun stuff
The Free Directory of Independent Writers and Artists
LitScene.com - The portal for writers and authors






FindingBlog - Blog Directory









TFS 100 TopBlogs

Personal Blogs
Start Blogging

Top100 Bloggers
Blogs

Top100 Bloggers Webring
Join | Ring Hub | Random | Prev | Next

Listed in LS Blogs

al.com - Alabama Weblogs








Top Personal Blogs
Artwork for banner
supplied by client.
Photographer: Dana

Site Design By:


Powered by Blogger

« chicago blogs »