Saturday, July 29, 2006

A Smoky Mountains Vacation
All these years, we have taken the kids to Disney World on vacation. Mostly because I have family and friends in the Orlando area that I like to see now and then. Plus, we are all Disney-a-holics and enjoy our time there. But this year, I wanted something different.

I needed the mountains. So, I talked the hubby into a Smoky Mountain vacation.

For those in the southern states and beyond, the Smokies are a popular vacation and honeymoon destination. I visited there when I was younger and fell in love with the area.

So, since hubby doesn't like primitive camping, we ended up renting an RV at Smoky Bear Campground for a week. He had his air conditioning and I had my fire pit and forests. You can see details of the RV park at an earlier post.

Our first expedition was to Clingman's Dome in the middle of the national park. From the parking lot, a paved trail leads up the peak to an observation deck which gives the visitor a 360 degree view off the mountain.

For me, it was a long, hard, walk uphill. I am out of shape and have asthma, but I made it and it was totally worth the exhaustion. The view is gorgeous and even though it was hazy, we could still see for miles in every direction. If you want more info about Clingman's Dome, you should check out this website...it is very informative. It gives you basic info on the mountain peak, such as...

1. Clingman's Dome is the highest point in Tennessee at 6,643 feet above sea level.

2. Half of the summit is on Tennessee and the other half is on North Carolina

3. The Appalachian Trail crosses Clingmans Dome, marking the highest point along its journey from Georgia to Maine

Some of the best things to do in the Smoky Mountains National Park, besides hiking, is to go driving along the many scenic roads in the park. One that we found not too far from our campground is Greenbrier Road which follows the Little Pigeon River up into the mountains. There are many places to stop along the river and get out to take pictures, swim, or just relax. The entire trip takes place in the forests. It's like being in a dark, green tunnel.

At one end of the road you can find the trailhead to Ramsay Cascades. It is 8-hours roundtrip, so we passed that up as I wasn't able to make it all of the way. However, just driving along the road and seeing the rapids and small pools was enough for us. I got some awesome photographs of the area and we met some nice people on their way up to see the waterfall.

Seeing as I am having problems adding more pictures, I will stop here and resume tomorrow. Maybe by then, the problem will have been resolved.
Copyright Dana 2005
2 had something to share

Name: Dana
Location: Chicago, and if y'all call me a Yankee, I'll have to cyber-smack ya'!

I'm just a mom of two, a crafter of jewelry, and to keep my sanity among the Yankees (kidding)I write southern-themed poetry, short stories and memoirs. I have been published on the web on sites such as USA Deep South, Southern Humorists, Muscadine Lines - A Southern Journal, Mosaic Minds and Long Story Short. I am also a contributor in Dew on the Kudzu and Weight-Loss Articles.com where I write dieting humor.

And this is my blog... Kudzu, funny family stories, poems, family ghosts, snakes, sun-kissed southern memories all inside! Plus some travel reviews, recipes and more! I also make handcrafted jewelry! Check out my jewelry blog - Colors of the Woods

View my complete profile

Copyright  2005 Dana Sieben - All Rights Reserved

Creative Commons License
This work is
licensed under a
Creative Commons License.


View my page on Indiepublic
Use one of these buttons
and link to me!




Dana Mosley Sieben

Create your badge
37%
Sign my guestmap!
Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com
 
Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com
If you'd like to share your thoughts via e-mail, get in touch with me here

www.flickr.com
imissala's photos More of imissala's photos
Chicago Lampoon

Belmont or Bust

I Was Trailer Trash When Trailer Trash Wasn't Cool

One Day at a Time

The Southern Epicure

Willing Hands (cross-stich blog)

A Tennessee Redneck in King Harald's Court

I am a Supersonic Streak in the Sky!

Becky's Carolina Journal

The Book Bitches

Alabama Kitchen Sink

Herbal Connection

Magnolia Mom

All Things Southern

Too Much Pork

Finding Fair Hope

The Little Things

The Patrick's

Going Places

The Phoenix

Olga's Blog

Leslie's Omnibus

Welcome to Beejland

Web Grits

Amy's Musings

Ruminations and Reflections

The SoapBox

The Martin Family

Travel Activities

Susie Pie

Lisa's Writing Projects

Monica's Thoughts

Bill's Bilge

Pirate Journal

Junkyard Poetry

Road to Writing

What's Up Down South?

Southern Comfort

All Kinds of Writing

Talking to Myself

The Notebored

Dana Reye's Place

Dovely's Days

Musings on Birmingham

Bill Harper's Humorwriter.com

Words to Go With - a Poetry Blog

Your Way Camping

Mushy's Moochings

Rurality

Zazzafooky

Southerness.com

The Sassy Southerner






Who Links Here

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
"I believe that no matter what you do, no matter how hard you try, you can not baptize cats." - Larry the Cable Guy

A Tennessee man and an Alabama man were both fighting in a war and were captured by the enemy.
"Before we put you to death," said the enemy, "do you have any last requests?"
"Yes," said the Alabaman. "Could you play 'Yeah, Alabama' before you shoot me?"
"Sure," said the enemy. "How about you, Tennessean?"
"Could you shoot me before you play 'Yeah, Alabama?'"

courtesy of 100 Redneck Jokes


Image hosting by Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Blogarama - The Blog Directory


blog search directory
Blog Directory & Search engine
Blogwise - blog directory



Writing , songs, humor & cool fun stuff
The Free Directory of Independent Writers and Artists
LitScene.com - The portal for writers and authors






FindingBlog - Blog Directory









TFS 100 TopBlogs

Personal Blogs
Start Blogging

Top100 Bloggers
Blogs

Top100 Bloggers Webring
Join | Ring Hub | Random | Prev | Next

Listed in LS Blogs

al.com - Alabama Weblogs








Top Personal Blogs
Artwork for banner
supplied by client.
Photographer: Dana

Site Design By:


Powered by Blogger

« chicago blogs »